About the FLEX Bridge Study
The FLEX Bridge Study has advanced the work of the PS Study and
PARCS projects by addressing priorities identified in these studies
and in ongoing FLEX preparatory activities. The goal of the FLEX Bridge Study was to optimize approaches for SIF retrievals and
applications in the assessment of photosynthesis and stress status in terrestrial vegetation, including the development of a
calibration/validation strategy for FLEX products.
Scientific objectives of the study were:
- To address priorities identified by previous studies and in ongoing FLEX preparatory activities.
- To optimize the fluorescence retrieval algorithm developed under the PARCS project.
- To optimize the photosynthesis retrieval model (SCOPE v1.53) and its related algorithm developed under the PS Study.
- To consolidate and develop retrievals for additional Level 2 data products.
- To further exploit applications in photoynthesis modelling and stress detection.
- To develop a calibration/validation strategy for FLEX products.
A key finding in our previous work is the inherent value of having both the red and the far-red fluorescence
emission peaks for applications. This underscores the unique advantages of FLEX and its FLORIS sensor
which will be optimized to extract these spectral features with appropriate spatial and spectral detail.
FLEX Bridge will form the foundation of subsequent science & applications development during mission development and deployment.
For further information about the FLEX Bridge Study, click here.
To read or download the Final Project Report, click here.
To see a list of publications from the Study, click here.
To visit the Photosynthesis Study website, click here.
Read more about FLEX and Chlorophyll Fluoresecence by clicking
Find out more about Earth Explorer 8 by clicking
Sentinel-3A was successfully launched on 16 February 2016. Watch the launch event webcast
The ESA Earth Explorer 8 User Consultation Meeting (UCM) was held 15-16 September 2015 in Krakow, Poland.
Click HERE to watch webcasts of the presentations & discussions. (For meeting agenda details, go
The FLEX Report for Mission Selection can be downloaded
A conference on Remote Sensing of Fluorescence, Photosynthesis, and Vegetation Status is planned for
17-19 January 2017
at ESA-ESRIN in Frascati, Italy. For details, visit their website at www.FLEX2017.org.
[ Download the conference flyer HERE. ]
FLEX Bridge Study Project Meetings
Three official FLEX Bridge meetings were held as part of this study:
– The Kick-off meeting (KO) was held on 03 October 2014.
– A milestone progress meeting (PM-1) was held on 19 February 2015.
– The final presentation & review (FR) was held on 08 December 2015.
In addition, various telecons were held throughout the project as needed.
[ The FLEX Bridge Meeting Roster is now complete. ]